Screenshots

Hi!

I sadly had to leave the meeting yesterday, during the discussion on
screenshots.

Everything in the summary is fine, except "800x600 8 bit images".
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Meetings#Meeting%2030/01/10

A screenshot will be in 16 bit by default. 8 bit could means either
"truecolor" or indexed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-bit_color

In either case, you will see color-banding. Attached: a screenshot
converted to 256 colors (8 bit). Note that results with a single palette
for all images will be even worse, same for "truecolor".

If you then use JPG compression, you gain nothing from the reduced
number of colors. Actually, you might end up with larger file sizes and
the artifacts of 2 kinds of reduction.

So don't dot it, stay 16 bit! ;)

Regarding 800 x 600: this sounds very inflexible and should be talked
about again, once there is an idea of what shots need to be taken. But
to give you an idea, I attached an image the roughly conforms to the
format (ended up missing 6 pixels in width and 27 in height, because I
simply resized the window manually).

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: