Re: Screenshots

Thorsten,

I took the information from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TakingScreenshots -- who
recommend 8-bit color for screenshots that are going into PDFs. Their
recommendation seems to be based on a compromise between color depth and
file size.

I erred on the dimensions -- 800x600 is not mentioned anywhere. I would
imagine 1024x768 would make a better size for full-desktop screenshots.

However, on the bit depth, I recommend that we not go with full color
(24-bit or higher) images unless we absolutely need it: the additional file
size is probably not worth the minor improvement in quality given the small
size of the images. Exceptions would be when taking screenshots that contain
full-color photos or video.

At the end of the day, we probably just want to have someone experiment by
trying to embed in our manual a bunch of different versions in different
color depths, and only deciding then what the standard should be.

-ilya