Re: The Title

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:54 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Hi!
>
> So we couldn't decide on a title on the last meeting. Here are the
> candidates and arguments. Note that I'm biased, so add or argue points
> if you can ;)
>

> What should the title be?
> =========================
>
> "The Ubuntu Manual: A Beginner's Guide"
> "The Ubuntu 10.04 Manual: A Beginner's Guide"
>
> Pro:
>  * Already established name.
>  * Matches the name of the team.
>
> Contra:
>  * Sounds official and exclusive ("the one and only manual")

Drop the "The" , it will loose the exclusivity

>  * "Manual" implies covering every detail.
>  * Needs the subtitle to actually say something about scope and
>    audience.
>  * Lacking on the emotional side.
>

> "Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04"
>
> Pro:
>  * It avoids negative connotations of a classification like "beginner"
>    or "novice", yet provides a hint to readers if it fits their
>    situation.
>  * Has an encouraging feel to it.
>  * The version number is at the end, avoiding a break in the typography
>    (better "flow").
Shouldnt be a major concern while deciding a book's title

>  * It's shorter than the other full title.
>
> Contra:
>  * It would be a name change, diminishing the publicity we already had.
>  * It has no short form as natural as "The Ubuntu Manual".
>

> Translations?
> =============
>
> I'd like to see at least a few translations and remarks if either one
> translates better or worse. Do they compare differently in other
> languages?

We either stick with the present name or we find a good name quick. The
current alternative is _not_ better in any sense.

IMO ,  give it one week [for bikeshed, the till end of this week] and if
we dont have a clearly better name just stick with what we have now.

It better to not loose the goodwill we have gathered so far , just for
the sake of typography

To kick off the bikeshed ;p >>>

"Ubuntu 10.04 Companion"
"Companion to Ubuntu 10.04"

"Companion" is commonly used for a lot of books to refer to the
shortened[gist] version of a bigger text book/manual. Users should
nearly get the meaning quicker.

I would suggest changing the "Ubuntu Manual Team" name to just the
"Manual team" Helps reducing the number of Ubuntu mentioned in the title
page. [or atleast, use it as "Manual team" on the book title]

--
Cheers,
Vish