Re: [Titlepage] New proposal

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 15:40 -0600, Wolter Hellmund wrote:
> Based on the data Thorsten posted on the wiki, I have created a new
> proposal.

After a chat on IRC, I actually thought this had been dealt with.

The "10.04" overpowers "ubuntu". "Getting Started with" seems a bit
lost, the parts of the title fail to appear as unit.

The door and the lynx have nothing to do with each other, they just
happen to be both on the page.

The lynx doesn't exactly look friendly. I think the people who support
this image enjoy it for appearing cool and sharp to them. Note that this
characteristics are not listed for our desired tone and message. Not to
forget that the title page is not for project members, but for the
success of the project and the readers.

Does the overabundance of neutral grey support a friendly tone? I think
not. The yellow/orange/red even appears aggressive on that ground.

The door makes me think of a passage into the twilight zone, or maybe
it's aliens coming to get you, causing that light. The underlying
metaphor, Ubuntu as path into the light isn't bad, but comes with the
risk of appearing over the top, fanatic. It doesn't quite meat
"respectful" and "serious". This execution leads to the impression of a
bland, depressing room on this side. We shouldn't imply that the
experience without/before Ubuntu is that terrible.

There's no hint on Why someone should bother with Ubuntu and the
document at all.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: