Re: License

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Ilya Haykinson <haykinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recommend that we _never_ translate this license, since it's a binding
> legal document and it is very easy to make a mistake in translation that
> alters the entire meaning. If need be, I can email Lawrence Lessig and ask
> for help in approving a translation, but instead I would prefer that we do
> the following:
>
>  - if a localized license is available, use it
>  - otherwise, use the US English version
>
> This should yield the most legally sound approach for now, and does not bind
> us to any legal approval cycle in CC, or expose us to unnecessary risk of
> creating a license that's too restrictive, too liberal, contradictory, or
> just plain unenforceable.

I don't mind having a translated license, but I do think there should
be a notice at the top stating that it's an unofficial translation and
that the binding license is the one located at <url>.

I think increasing the translations of the license is a good thing and
we should try to work with CC on that if we have time.  I think the
biggest problem isn't the translation itself, but that they have to
investigate the laws of each individual country and address the
specifics there.

--Kevin