Re: Trying to compile the manual locally.

Hello, Fran.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Fran Dieguez <fran.dieguez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For testing purposes I'm compiling the manual locally on my computer.
> I have exported the po file from launchpad and the compilation is mostly
> done but while compiling the references says:
>
> "Latex Warning: There were undefined references.
>
> Latex Warning: Label(s) may have changed. Rerun to get cross-references
> right."
>
> and outputs a bunch of errors like
>
> "Reference `blablabla' on page XXX undefined on input line XXXX"
>
> I reviewed all the references of chapter/section/...  and are correct, all
> of them are untranslated and with the original format.

When I try to compile the Galician manual (with the latest po file),
it fails because \acronym has been misspelled as \acrony at one point:

  "... Windows 8 como Mac \acrony{OS~X} no seu computador."

Another error is farther along.  In the section talking about
OpenOffice.org, you have a couple \r's in there that should be
removed.  There is also an extra closing brace } after the URL. It
looks as if the paragraph may have been copied and pasted partially.

The \menu command is misspelled as \meu.

The \window command is misspelled as \windo.  (For the Seleccionar
ficheiros window.)

After fixing these errors, the references check out okay.

The reason LaTeX complains about the missing references is because the
first time it compiles the .tex file, it generates an .aux file that
contains the list of \labels. During this first run, the
cross-references are still unresolved.  (They'll appear as ?? in the
PDF.)  Only during the second and later runs does LaTeX read the
labels from the .aux file and replace the missing references (??) with
page numbers, names, figure numbers, etc.  Since your document was
failing to complete the first run, the references were still
undefined.

> For other hand, at the title page the string "The Ubuntu Manual Team"
> translated to galician is too width and it gets out of the page. I'm
> thinking in putting a breakline character in latex codification to split the
> line. Is there some better solution?

We're going to be dealing with the title pages manually, so we can
tweak the design for each translation.  The only thing we'll need from
the translations is the \title and \author command arguments to be
translated.  We'll deal with any line-breaking and font scaling issues
on a case-by-case basis.

--Kevin