mess in folders

Call me psycho but I like when everything has its own place.
I went through our main branch and put together folders and their actual
meaning. And here is a result:

Chapters in manual and their folders:
Cover                          frontmatter
Copyright                      frontmatter
0 Prologue                     prologue
1 Installation                 installation
2 The Ubuntu desktop           around-desktop
3 Working with Ubuntu          default-apps
4 Hardware                     prefs-hardware
5 Software Management          software-packaging
6 The Command Line             command-line
7 Security                     security
8 Troubleshooting              troubleshooting
9 Learning more                learning-more
A License                      backmatter
Glossary                       frontmatter
Credits                        credits
Index                          backmatter

The rest of the folders and their actual meaning:
graphics            <icons used in manual>
Help                <"How to..." slides for authors, editors, translators,
...>
lucid-screens       <are we using this? - screenshots have its own
branch/project>
maintenance         <chapter removed>
pkgs                <stuff for compiling manual>
Planet Stuff        <stuff for our Planet>
po                  <.po files for all languages>
screenshots         <are we using this? - screenshots have its own
branch/project>
team-images         <images for our web>
titlepage           <old Wolter's Lynx>
website             <stuff for our website>

Don't get me wrong but I thing this is a mess.
Since we have our web and planet and their stuff together with stuff for
manual. Plus a few folders no longer used. We hardly know where to find
what.
Now you may say WE do find all we need. But think for the future. Not that I
wish it, but what if (for example) couple of editors leave, new one comes
and instead of immediately start writing, they will have to go through all
this mess and find what folder contains what. This will consume their
valuable time.

What I suggest is simple: Make an order.
Instead of having countless folders in root, move them to a few appropriate
folders.
For example:
manual-chapters/
    all manual chapters
website/
    stuff for our website
    team-images/
planet/
    stuff for our Planet
Help/
    "How to..." slides for authors, editors, translators, ...
graphics/
    icons and other graphics used in manual
pkgs/
    stuff for compiling manual
po/
    .po files for all languages

Or split them into multiple branches if it will be more convenient.

And since we have separate project for screenshots I guess we no longer need
an images/ subfolder in each chapter folder.

I don't mention files in root since I don't know what most of they are for.
;) Nevertheless they could be in appropriate folder(s) too.

Thoughts?

---
Regards
Martin Lukeš
P.S.: Please keep the communication history

Follow ups