Re: An interesting blog by Matt Zimmerman touches on docs

The inclusion of on-disk documentation should be up to the user and be
"package-wide". Having a "documentation" package that has the documentation
for all installed applications. The way this would work (at least in theory)
is:

   - on instalation of this package
      - finds all installed packages
      - check for documentation
      - download documentation
   - on installation of new package(s)
      - find newly installed packages
      - download new documentation
   - on removal of package
      - remove install documentation

Being done this way allows the user to choose weather documentation is
installed by default and conserves disk space by only having the
documentation for installed application.This would also eliminate the need
to install a separate package (such as openshot-docs) for documentation, it
would be added automatically.

I agree that web-based apps don't need on-disk help. Non-web-based should
have web and local (as per above) documentation. As Kyle mentioned, Ubuntu
Help should only basic getting started documentation should be included. I
would also argue that this should have shortcuts on the desktop (on both the
live CD and for all new accounts) to make it easier to find.

--
Jason Cook