Re: Documentation pool sample content

Hi Phil

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Phil Bull <philbull@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry, I've been away for a couple of weeks.
>
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 23:27 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:
> > During our meeting this past weekend we came up with an idea to help
> > us see how each of the various syntaxes would work for our doc
> > project.  The general gist it to collect some text-only content from
> > our various documentation repositories (Learning, Docs, and Manual),
> > and then draft that content up in the different markups (Docbook v5,
> > Mallard, DITA, and XHTML5).  We'll then see the pluses and minuses of
> > each.
> >
> > I've put up a bzr repo at:
> >
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-contributors/ubuntu-docs/pool-sample-content<https://code.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-doc-contributors/ubuntu-docs/pool-sample-content> This is where we'll be able to store both the basic text, and (later) to
> store and view the content in the different markup formats.
> [...]
> > 2) Put the content into the different formats.  Format assignments are
> > as follows:
> [...]
> > - Mallard - Phil Bull, we nominated you in your absence.  :)
>
> I've started on the Mallard bits (the ubuntu-docs sample is complete).
> I'm at GUADEC for the next week, but I'll hopefully have the Ubuntu
> manual sample converted to Mallard soon too.
>
> Phil

We were planning to combine content from each of the sources into just *one
document,* and then re-create the content from that document into each of
the different formats.  That way we'd get an apples-to-apples comparison of
each of the different formats.

Sorry I haven't been more on top of this - I've been working lots of hours
with my day job.  This week should be a bit more open for me, though, and I
should be able to do more on this.

Thanks for sending out a note about this, though, Phil, and thanks for your
help.

Jim