Re: Ubuntu Manual Translations

Am 06.11.2010 10:47, schrieb Benjamin Humphrey:
I think translations must begin only -after- the final english manual has been released, to ensure a full freeze and minimal disturbance and loss of work for the translators. I think it has basically been decided that in future, the manual itself, english or otherwise, will be released at least 2 weeks after the Ubuntu OS release date, because the Ubuntu developers have proven that they cannot enforce the UI freeze and continue adding things up to the last minute, sometimes even after release candidate.
If we could start translating just after the final english release, I don't think we will get it in only two weeks. Just remember, we're not done with lucid-e2 yet! We could definitely finish the translation earlier by starting with partial translations, but in this way, we won't get it. You aren't typing the whole manual in just two weeks, too, are you?
My advice would be to research how important it is that every single manual we release is available in more than one language, we should collect some statistics from the downloads to judge how popular they are and whether it is worth all of our time to go through the process every six months. I think it would be much more beneficial for everyone if we only translated LTS versions of the manual, once every two years. This would leave significant time for translators to work, and while it won't provide the latest and greatest in languages beside English, it would certainly take a lot of strain off a volunteer team lacking the necessary infrastructure for such a mammoth undertaking twice a year.
We definitely should translate every release. It's not the server guide we're talking about here, it's the "getting started", fresh users to Ubuntu will read this one. They have to get a copy in their own language! Of course, this will take some time - so who really wants to read it directly in english, should do so. But I think many - especially new - users would prefer a localized release.

If we find that people do miss having the newest information available to them every six months in their own language, we could quite easily create change logs for each release as Jonas suggested, which would provide a nice and brief overview of the newest features. This could be small, maybe less than 3 pages, and would be translated within days of the release.
Maybe we won't get it on less than 3 pages (I'm thinking about Unity here) ;)

Benjamin Humphrey
Jonas