Re: Ubuntu Manual Translations

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 16:23 +0100, Daniel Schury wrote:

> Well, I think the translation process could be really speed up, if we
> have a platform which does not forget the work every now and then. The
> basic chapters do not really change over time, so this is done once and
> maybe only a little bit polished over thime.

Yeah. There's a clear need for online infrastructure, where you can view
2 language versions (source and target) side by side.

With highlighting of and notifications on changes. On a per paragraph
granularity, or per user-define spans.

With a dictionary for repeated words and GUI labels.

Seeing how there would not be much difference from release to release,
except when something like a switch to Unity happens, a manual release
every 6 months and parallel translation should be feasible. As far as
the text is concerned, at least.

Now for the screenshots, I wonder if automation could be taken a step
further. I have no real clue about the capabilities, but perhaps
something like http://mago.ubuntu.com/ could help?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: