Re: Feedback on the manual

Hello, Leon.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Leon <lordpeyre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, I just got done reading the manual.  It makes a great intro for true
> beginners, even people without prior computing experience.  It's less
> helpful to a guy like me, who's coming to Linux from Windows--but then, I'm
> not really the target audience, so the manual can hardly be faulted for
> that.
>
> I noticed a couple small things that might be worth making quick changes
> to.
>
> On page 31, it uses i.e. incorrectly: "plac a dot (.) in frontof the name (
> i.e., ".Personal Finances")."  The sentence seems to be using it as an
> abbreviation for "for example", but what it's really looking for is e.g.
> i.e. is short for "that is" and wouldn't make sense there.

You're right.  This bug survived a long time.  One of our translated
reported it a couple weeks ago and it's been fixed in the current manual
(which hasn't been released yet).

On page 143, the word "first" got used twice right up against each other,
> pretty awkwardly: "But first, we'll first discuss the technologies...."
> This looks to be an artifact from an edit somewhere along the way, no big
> deal, but I thought you might want to know.

Good catch!  I've committed this fix and it will appear in the 10.10 manual
when it's released.

Thanks for your bug reports -- we really appreciate them!

--Kevin Godby