Re: Manual: fuzzies, on/offline and translator credits

El dt 25 de 01 de 2011 a les 01:09 +0100, en/na Ask Hjorth Larsen va
escriure:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (...)
> >> 2. finish the manual-maverick po-file offline in a CAT. This would be much
> >> faster, but I am afraid that it will become a mess when this file is later
> >> uploaded to Launchpad. Besides, working offline can only be done by one
> >> person. And here we have the same problem, the names of the original
> >> translators are lost.
> >> Perhaps there is someone who can come up with a brilliant idea to solve
> >> this. I am particularly interested in how the German and Greek translation
> >> teams have tackled this.
> >
> > It shouldn't become a mess when the file is uploaded to Launchpad
> > after working offline.  It might complain if the po-file header has
> > changed, but that should not be a problem if you choose "import"
> > rather than "upload".  Did you observe any problems?
> >
> > Regards
> > Ask

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to investigate a few things
before I could reply properly.

> Oh... "import" doesn't exist anymore since some restructuring, so one
> can only "upload" now.  That means the easiest way in case of trouble
> is probably to

That's correct. There is only one option now, which should mean things
are less confusing.

I do acknowledge the loss of the "import feature", although:

      * You can achieve the same thing by exporting first the
        translation from Launchpad, copying the X-Launchpad part of the
        header to the file you are trying to import. Or you can merge
        the two files yourself instead of letting Launchpad do it, as
        Ask was correctly explaining in his reply. Just remember to
        check that the file you are trying to upload has the X-Launchpad
        field.
      * Most importantly, in the future there should be no need of
        manually importing translations, as automatic imports should be
        much more reliable, and they should happen from mirrored
        upstream bzr branches, instead of through the packages. This way
        translations will not be imported non-predictably (i.e. every
        time there is a new package uploaded) but regularly (e.g. daily,
        from a bzr branch). The _templates_ will still be imported
        through packages, though, as it's the only way to get any
        modified or additional strings that are Ubuntu-specific. I
        explained this on the videocast a couple of weeks ago, in case
        you might find it interesting:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12281348/highlight/145533

--
David Planella