Re: Manual: fuzzies, on/offline and translator credits

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(...)
>> 2. finish the manual-maverick po-file offline in a CAT. This would be much
>> faster, but I am afraid that it will become a mess when this file is later
>> uploaded to Launchpad. Besides, working offline can only be done by one
>> person. And here we have the same problem, the names of the original
>> translators are lost.
>> Perhaps there is someone who can come up with a brilliant idea to solve
>> this. I am particularly interested in how the German and Greek translation
>> teams have tackled this.
>
> It shouldn't become a mess when the file is uploaded to Launchpad
> after working offline.  It might complain if the po-file header has
> changed, but that should not be a problem if you choose "import"
> rather than "upload".  Did you observe any problems?
>
> Regards
> Ask

Oh... "import" doesn't exist anymore since some restructuring, so one
can only "upload" now.  That means the easiest way in case of trouble
is probably to

1) export po-file from Launchpad
2) merge the po-file which you wanted to import into the one just
exported, after taking a backup of the just-exported file's header
3) revert the header of the merged file to coincide with that of the
just-exported file
4) upload to Launchpad.

I hope it'll be possible to import translations again one day, as this
is the only way to efficiently get new translations from upstream into
Ubuntu.  It is my experience that package maintainers don't do this
reliably, so I've been doing this manually so far.

Regards
Ask