Re: \application{}, yes or no

I would say that we should use it for all of the "major" applications.
 I wouldn't use it for anything on the launcher, except maybe things
that are Canonical (or Ubuntu) related -- like Ubuntu Settings and
Ubuntu One, but not necessarily for Libre-*.

So, if it's not vital to getting someone up and running with Ubuntu, I
wouldn't use it.

Of course you run into the problem of nothing in the index vs.
everything in the index.  So, right now (without making any changes at
all), how cluttered is the index?  That's where we need to cut from.
If there are things in the index that aren't important at all, then
remove their "Application{}" tags.

Have a great day:)
Patrick.