Re: Two questions: One about using Ground Control and one about Quickshot

Hello, Patrick.

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Patrick Dickey <pdickeybeta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got two questions (or more, depending on the answers). The first
> one is how do we get groundcontrol working on Ubuntu 12.04 (for those
> not aware, groundcontrol is a GUI implementation of the bzr system). I
> get the login to launchpad screen, and log in. However, it just returns
> to that screen --instead of going on to get my ssh key and other user
> information).

To my knowledge, no one has tried to use Ground Control in 12.04.

Looking at the project page on Launchpad
<https://launchpad.net/groundcontrol>, the latest release (and the
version of the package in the Ubuntu repositories) is 1.6.6.  That was
released in April 2010.  There has been activity in the Ground Control
bzr repository since then (most recently in February 2012). So if you
download the bzr repository and build that, it may have a better
chance of working.

> The second question is what would it take to package quickshot for the
> precise repository (and quantal, since we'll most likely be working on
> that shortly)?  The last repository in the quickshot-release branch is
> maverick, and the iso on the Ubuntu-manual wiki page is for 10.04 (which
> probably won't do much for us).

All of our Quickshot developers have found themselves busy with other
things (life, primarily), and so Quickshot has languished quite a bit
over the past year or two. We need to find some people who are
interested in testing Quickshot to see what does and doesn't work at
the moment.  Then we need to find some developers interested in taking
on the project of reviving Quickshot.

> I guess a potential third question is what will it take to create
> another stripped down iso based on 12.04?

The stripped-down ISO images were quite handy, weren't they?  I'm not
sure how they pulled that off. If you're interested, I can dig through
my email archives and track down who did the work on that (I think it
may have been Luke Jennings, but I'd have to check) and let you know.

> If it's something that anyone could reasonably do, I may be interested
> in taking it on.  I've got two days (until Monday evening Central Time
> US) that I can kill on this.  Also I do have the source from the
> Quickshot project downloaded to my computer (through bzr).

Since the original Quickshot developers are no longer around, we'll
have to revive/reboot that project before we can create an Ubuntu
package that works and an ISO image that authors and editors can use.
If this is something you're interested in working on, let me know.

—Kevin