Re: Two questions: One about using Ground Control and one about Quickshot

Hello Kevin,

My comments are inline. Thank you for answering.

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 03:42 -0500, Kevin Godby wrote:
> Hello, Patrick.
>
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Patrick Dickey <pdickeybeta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've got two questions (or more, depending on the answers). The first
> > one is how do we get groundcontrol working on Ubuntu 12.04 (for those
> > not aware, groundcontrol is a GUI implementation of the bzr system). I
> > get the login to launchpad screen, and log in. However, it just returns
> > to that screen --instead of going on to get my ssh key and other user
> > information).
>
> To my knowledge, no one has tried to use Ground Control in 12.04.
>
> Looking at the project page on Launchpad
> <https://launchpad.net/groundcontrol>, the latest release (and the
> version of the package in the Ubuntu repositories) is 1.6.6.  That was
> released in April 2010.  There has been activity in the Ground Control
> bzr repository since then (most recently in February 2012). So if you
> download the bzr repository and build that, it may have a better
> chance of working.

I posted a question for them to see if it would even work on 12.04. If
not, then it's not worth my time to try and build their daily branch.
Also, their readme file isn't as clear as I'd like, so I asked a
question about that.

> > The second question is what would it take to package quickshot for the
> > precise repository (and quantal, since we'll most likely be working on
> > that shortly)?  The last repository in the quickshot-release branch is
> > maverick, and the iso on the Ubuntu-manual wiki page is for 10.04 (which
> > probably won't do much for us).
>
> All of our Quickshot developers have found themselves busy with other
> things (life, primarily), and so Quickshot has languished quite a bit
> over the past year or two. We need to find some people who are
> interested in testing Quickshot to see what does and doesn't work at
> the moment.  Then we need to find some developers interested in taking
> on the project of reviving Quickshot.

I ran setup.py build on quickshot, and the first issue I got was that I
needed python-distutils-extra. Then it couldn't find a few modules and
didn't recognize some of the files.  So, I either need to install some
more modules or point to their location.

Also, it looks like quickshot is mainly a front-end for quickly (which
if you try to install downloads about 153MB of files). So, I'm assuming
that I need to install that first (or it would need to become part of
the installer).

Here are the results of trying setup.py build

patrickdickey@dcky-ubuntu64:~/Projects/quickshot/source$./setup.py build
ERROR: Python module wnck not found
ERROR: Python module screenshot_detail not found
ERROR: Python module user_account not found
ERROR: Python module screenshot_list not found
ERROR: Python module screenshot_list not found
ERROR: Python module screenshot_compare not found
ERROR: Python module screenshot_detail not found
ERROR: Python module graphics_change not found
running build
running build_py
creating build
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/capture
copying quickshot/lib/capture/__init__.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/capture
copying quickshot/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot
copying quickshot/common.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/server
copying quickshot/lib/server/__init__.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/server
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/resolution
copying quickshot/lib/resolution/__init__.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/resolution
copying quickshot/lib/__init__.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/dialogue.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/credits.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/project_selection.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/screenshot_list.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/screenshot_compare.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/licence.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/graphics_confirm.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/__init__.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/base.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/about.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/user_details.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/graphics_change.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/screenshot_detail.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
copying quickshot/gui/user_account.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/gui
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/account
copying quickshot/lib/account/environment.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/account
copying quickshot/lib/account/__init__.py ->
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/quickshot/lib/account
running build_scripts
creating build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting bin/quickshot -> build/scripts-2.7
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/quickshot from 664 to 775
running build_i18n
intltool-update -p -g quickshot
running build_icons
running build_help
WARNING: the following files are not recognized by DistUtilsExtra.auto:
  hooks/quickshot-crashdb.conf
  hooks/source_quickshot.py
  quickshot.desktop
  run.sh

I do know that there is a python-wnck that can be installed through
apt-get, but I'm not sure about the other modules.

> > I guess a potential third question is what will it take to create
> > another stripped down iso based on 12.04?
>
> The stripped-down ISO images were quite handy, weren't they?  I'm not
> sure how they pulled that off. If you're interested, I can dig through
> my email archives and track down who did the work on that (I think it
> may have been Luke Jennings, but I'd have to check) and let you know.

As I mentioned, I have the weekend free (Memorial Day holiday here in
the US), so I may dig through the quickshot site on launchpad to find
out about the iso file as well. I would *hope* that they archived the
steps in creating that, but I'm not counting on it.

> > If it's something that anyone could reasonably do, I may be interested
> > in taking it on.  I've got two days (until Monday evening Central Time
> > US) that I can kill on this.  Also I do have the source from the
> > Quickshot project downloaded to my computer (through bzr).
>
> Since the original Quickshot developers are no longer around, we'll
> have to revive/reboot that project before we can create an Ubuntu
> package that works and an ISO image that authors and editors can use.
> If this is something you're interested in working on, let me know.

I'll play around with everything this weekend, and see what I break.
Since I'm not a python developer (and am just learning how to do basic
programs in python), I probably won't be the best choice for doing this
(unless it's pretty simple and straightforward). But, we'll see what
happens after this weekend.

> —Kevin

Have a great weekend.:)