Re: click-and-hold

Hello, Paddy.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Paddy Landau <paddy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> An example of click-and-hold, then, would be the spray paint in GIMP.

Exactly.

> The term "drag" has been in use at least since Windows 3.1 (probably before
> even Windows was invented), which is several computer generations and one
> human generation ago. I think everyone, even newbies, will understand
> "drag".
>
> It would be good to have "drag" in the Glossary, however, for those very
> rare people who are using Ubuntu as their introduction to computers.

I agree with all of this.

When we first started the manual, we discussed how detailed we needed
to be with basic computer use concepts (dragging, clicking, etc.).  We
concluded that we would assume that our readers had been exposed to
computers already and were familiar with those terms and the basic
operation of their computer (how to turn it on, how to use the mouse,
what a monitor was, etc.).  In short, our manual is an introduction to
Ubuntu, not the computer.

--Kevin