Re: Reflection and review

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 02:11 PM, Kevin Godby wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I intend for this message to start a mailing list thread and
> discussion to review how things worked (and didn't work) during the
> process of creating Getting Started with Ubuntu 12.04.  This is a
> general discussion thread, but I'll include some questions to get
> things started. You're welcome to answer any, all, or none of the
> questions as they apply and to speak generally about any other topics
> that come to mind.
>
> Thanks!
>

> What did you think of the process overall?
Very streamlined and on time.

> Was this your first time contributing to the manual project?  If so,
> how did you hear about the project?  Why did you decide to get
> involved?  Did you have trouble getting started with the project?
> Were the other team members helpful enough?
The other team members were especially helpful, however the problem i
have is trying to use Tex through a proxy at the only place i get any
sort of interent access. I submitted my additions through an ODT but
they were not included in the finished manual...?

> If you decided not to get involved in the manual project for this
> cycle, why not?  What could we change that would increase the
> likelihood of you getting involved in the project?
>
> How did you like your role (author, editor, translator, etc.) in this
> cycle?  Do you think you'd like to take on that same role again?
> Would you like to try a different role in the future?
I would take on the roll again if my work got included this time.

> Did you find it difficult to use any of the tools for our project
> (e.g., bzr, LaTeX)?
LaTeX only because of the TMG at my school, which blocks pretty much any
traffic not from a recognised web browser.

> What did you think of the release schedule?  Did it take too long to
> release the manual?  Did you feel rushed in your work? Did you have
> enough time to do everything you wanted to do?
We don't have to have the manual out that soon after Ubuntu,
particularly for a LTS release, for an in between release nothing much
changes anyway, and most users with moderate experience in computing
*should* be able to follow the last in the time between Ubuntu's release
and the manual.

> How well did the other team members communicate with you? Did you know
> what you were expected to do at each step of the process?  Were you
> ever lost or confused about what you could work on?
I did get a little lost about what part of the manual i was supposed to
be working on, but that was maybe me misunderstanding and being new.

> Did you feel that you had sufficient knowledge and skills to do the
> work that was requested of you?  Do you think that training or
> teaching by other team members would help?
Easy! We don't exactly cover anything in depth like setting up a Squid
cache or Apache web server, both of which i have done in the past...

> What do you think the team should do to improve the process for 12.10?
Clearer directions, but I was new, so i should probably expect to get a
little lost the first time around. :)