Re: New website

Hello, Patrick.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Patrick Dickey <pdickeybeta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with Paddy, that WordPress (or another CMS system like Drupal)
> would be the best way to go. With WordPress at least, you can
>
> 1.  Configure logins and permissions for the editors and other admin.
> 2.  Change the theme relatively easily (and even create your own
> themes).
> 3.  Create multi-lingual sites.

I use WordPress for my own site and do think it'd work well for most
of Ubuntu Manual's site. The only unknown for me is how to set it up
so the site can be translated easily for multilingual support.

> And because it's all php based, you should be able to create a string
> with the language code in it, so the user will download the manual for
> whatever language the site is in.  You might even be able to create a
> dropdown, where they can pick whatever language it's avialable in (in
> case they're viewing it in one language but want it in another).

Yeah, I can whip up a separate download page outside of WordPress pretty easily.

> Depending on whether you used any php on the test site, you might be
> able to migrate it over without a lot of major changes.
>
> Some questions that I have are these (and they're meant to help whoever
> develops the site)
>
> 1.  Would it be safe to say that the look and feel of
> test.ubuntu-manual.org is what you're after?

I'm not too picky about the site design. If someone would like to take
a stab at a new design, I'm game. I think both the current site and
the test site designs were created by Ben Humphrey a couple years ago.

Keep in mind that the site design needs to be easily translatable
(multilingual) and easily turned into a template for WordPress and
other parts of the site that don't use WordPress (e.g., the downloads
page).

> 2.  Do you have a template page for the test site (without any text in
> it)?

All of the code for the current and test sites is available in bzr
through <http://launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual-website>.

> 3.  Are you able to install a CMS on the current host, or will you need
> to find new hosting?

Depending on the requirements of the CMS, I can host it on the current
server.  If you have something in mind, let me know and I can check
for you.

*snip*
> I've got about 3 hours before I have to leave for work, so I'll do a
> little research into actually creating a multi-lingual site in
> WordPress. I did post a couple of links to the group a while back, so
> I'll add those to the page (along with any information I can find about
> specifying the language used in the download).

Awesome. Thanks, Patrick!

--Kevin