Re: 1st pass thru desktop chapter edits on precise e2

After sifting through the Nautilus/Unity malaise Sunday, basically all I was seeing were some menu naming differences (where we were instructing users to click on a specific option in a menu to do a specific action). I now see these were nost likely unrelated to Unity and more related to an update to Nautilus.

Thank you for taking the time to install 3D and go through the Nautilus section again. I'm glad to hear the differences between the two are transparent.

Someone should confirm the exclusivity of Unity 3D starting in 12.10. If confirmed, current authors/editors can focus on writing/editing in one interface. YEAH!

As I've pondered yesterday's changes, I, too, have been questioning whether it's a good thing to mention Unity in the Nautilus section. I'm good with simply making a mention in the Unity section of the "Ubuntu Desktop" chapter that there are two possible interfaces, and while the 'look and feel' may be slightly different between the two, functionality of applications and utilities programs within either interface should not be different.

So, tonight (Monday night, PDT), I will move the Unity 2D /3D description up to the Unity subsection, then read through the entire chapter again, making sure I didn't miss anything, and I think I can consider MY edits this chapter DONE.

Sound good?

On , Hannie Dumoleyn <lafeber-dumoleyn2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Yes, I definitely think we should write about Unity 2D and Unity
3D in our manual. In fact, for the Precise version I did mention
this in an email to our mailing list, but there were no reactions
whatsoever. On the other hand, if Unity 2D will no longer be
supported in 12.10, we should only mention it in the Precise-e2
version.

The question is: should it be part of Nautilus File Manager? I
don't think so. The standard file manager Nautilus and Unity are
two different things. I have currently installed Unity 3D but, so
far, in Nautilus I do not see any difference
between this environment and my previous one.

Could you be a bit more specific in what you see described in the
section on Nautilus that is not correct when using Unity 3D?

Regards,

Hannie

btw, I still hs\ave to change menubar inti menu bar, but I will
wait until there is more to change in this section.