Re: Installing TeX Live and a couple of suggestions

On 04/06/13 15:26, Sylvie Gallet wrote:
Hi Everybody,

With aid of may assistant TeX Live has been installed as per
http://ubuntu-manual.org/getinvolved/authors#install-texlive and
everything appears to be working. The following was a bit worrying
though:-

"(Note that this hasn’t been tested yet and it’s pure guesswork on
Kevin’s part! Let us know if it does or doesn’t work for you.)"

Especially given the time it takes to install. If nobody has had any
problems, can that be removed or reworded. Also, I think there should be
a warning about the length of time it takes. One hour 45 mins in our case. I
know the installer gives a remarkably accurate indication of the time
required, but anybody who is just used to installing the more usual
packages may be taken by surprise. I know we were. Thankfully we had set
a side enough time.

   It also eats a HUGE amount of disk space in / (several gigabytes)...

Never noticed quite how big it is, around 2.5 GiB on this machine. I don't have a separate / partition so it's not really a problem, but it may be a good idea to put a warning in the instructions. If it had been installed on my Lubuntu machine the disk would have been full!

--

Steve