Re: Update March 14th, 2016

On 15.03.2016 03:34, Pravin Dhayfule wrote:
What I was wondering is shouldn't we also add section for installing an
EASY to use Desktop Environment along side Unity as frankly speaking
Unity indeed is ideal for touch devices and when we target Desktop users
we need to ensure that new users do not run away after being BORED by
Unity without being aware of the fact that there are alternatives.

You may have the best intentions with suggesting another DE to our readers, but I think it would be a mistake:

It has been buried a bit (who decided it isn't important any-more?), but the project has a mission statement, taken from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual-OLD:

"To create and deploy a document that is suitable as first point of reference regarding the use of Ubuntu by beginner-level users.

In addition to the system software, it shall also discuss a few selected applications that are part of the default installation, as there is assumed to be a common interest among beginner-level users. It will also give detail on installation, hardware, security, a background on FOSS and Ubuntu and give an introduction to using the command line."

Note that we decided to focus on beginner-level users. If you ever assisted one, you will likely have noticed that providing several options will often lead to confusion ... stress, even. Actually, no matter the level, there's always a cost attached to having many choices.

We also referred to the default installation, to keep the scope of the project at bay and once again to not confuse with too many options.

An explanation that there are alternatives to Unity would be fine, but that job is not as easy as it may seem. First the reader has to understand how a desktop environment is not the operating system, even though the first defines so much of the user experience. Right here lies the problem that Unity *is* Ubuntu to many people. Reflected by so many derivatives that exist mainly to have a different DE in the default installation.

Even if we wanted to highlight one specific alternative, which one? It might be hard or even impossible to reach consensus.

Now, should Unity have objective shortcomings in comparison to Cinnamon, you should push for having them addressed. It being "boring" doesn't count here, as Unity is not a game, but a tool.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/