Re: Application Software, button All

Thanks everyone for your reaction on this subject. I agree with Miles (see email below) that it is much better to use Synaptic or apt-get install in the terminal, but since our manual is written for beginners, we should explain the use of Software extensively. Personally I think Ubuntu Software Center is much better than gnome-software. I have no idea why they change this in Xenial, except that perhaps there are not sufficient maintainers for USC to continue with it.
Hannie

Miles wrote:

I'm running the latest updates right now on Xenial and when opening up
(GNOME) Software the three tabs present on top are All, Installed, and
Updates. All takes you to the "home" page where you can browse the
available software, while Installed will show what currently-installed
programs you have. The All tab is largely search and category driven,
not the kinds of lists most people expect. Probably because Software
doesn't purport to be a general-purpose package manager GUI.

I'm not yet sure if the Updates tab functions properly on Xenial, but I
expect it should.

Something that I haven't been able to figure out how to gracefully
translate from the Ubuntu Software Center and (GNOME) Software is
dealing with the vast majority of packages that contain none of the
needed packaging metadata. Software is not a traditional package manager
like Synaptic, it is far more app-store oriented. I don't know if
Software will ever be the go-to option for finding some library or
esoteric package to install, rather if you tell someone to install
Amarok, you can know that if they open Software, search for and install
Amarok, it will give them what they need in an easy-to-navigate way. As
far as I can tell, with the USC gone and Software being so hindered, the
terminal is the easiest place to guide people towards.

Hope that helps at all! :)

Sincerely,
Miles Sean Robinson