ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: new ubuntu multiseat wiki page

Good question, Richard!

Let me explain my own example: here in my school, I work with multiseat
computers consisting of a PCI graphics card with Silicon Motion SM501 chip
and a USB hub with embedded audio device for the secondary seat.

Since I'm configuring my SM501 card using xorg-x11-video-siliconmotion
driver, it exposes no framebuffer device or any other kernel device that
could be handled by logind. It's the same scenario one would have with a
NVIDIA graphics card with proprietary drivers --- but, in this case, it's
possible that this particular card exposes some other device logind can
handle. You can run the command "loginctl seat-status <seat>" to get a list
of current devices logind can handle.

Because my card can't be handled by logind at all, I can't tag it as
"master-of-seat", so the best solution in my case is tagging my USB hub as
"master-of-seat", using the following udev rule:

# ThinNetworks Audio Hub
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0608",
TAG+="master-of-seat", ENV{ID_AUTOSEAT}="1", ENV{ID_FOR_SEAT}="XXXX"

In this example, a new seat named "seat-XXXX" is automatically created when
I plug the USB hub, in a semi-Plugable fashion.

Now that the seat is created, the last step is assinging my SM501 card to
it. This is done with the following xorg config file, which I put in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder:

Section "Device"
    BusID "PCI:4:1:0"
    Identifier "videocard_sm501"