ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: new ubuntu multiseat wiki page

On 2014-02-18 06:05, Laércio de Sousa wrote:
> Because my card can't be handled by logind at all, I can't tag it as
> "master-of-seat", so the best solution in my case is tagging my USB hub
> as "master-of-seat", using the following udev rule:
>
> # ThinNetworks Audio Hub
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0608",
> TAG+="master-of-seat", ENV{ID_AUTOSEAT}="1", ENV{ID_FOR_SEAT}="XXXX"
>
> In this example, a new seat named "seat-XXXX" is automatically created
> when I plug the USB hub, in a semi-Plugable fashion.

Oh, I think I understand what you're doing.  Correct me if I'm wrong:
You want a seat to be activated whenever you plug in your audio hub
device, and you want that seat to be deactivated whenever you unplug the
audio hub device.  The hardware that should be associated with the seat
is the audio hub device and the SM501 video card.  Is that right?

If so, then it's not that your card "can't be handled by logind", it's
that you don't want your video card to be tagged 'master-of-seat'.  If
it was, logind would create a seat even when your audio hub device
wasn't plugged in.

Try setting up your video card as follows:

  * tag it with 'seat' (if it isn't already)
  * tag it with 'seat-XXXX'
  * set ID_SEAT to 'seat-XXXX'
  * do NOT tag it with 'master-of-seat'

Then configure your audio hub as follows:

  * tag it with 'seat' (if it isn't already)
  * tag it with 'seat-XXXX'
  * set ID_SEAT to 'seat-XXXX'
  * tag it with 'master-of-seat'
  * do NOT set ID_AUTOSEAT or ID_FOR_SEAT

If you do the above, then I think it will work without requiring any
changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

-Richard