ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: Xubuntu 14.10 second seat screen lock not working / gets stuck

Hi,

see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/1406834

On 1 January 2015 at 01:34, Richard Hansen <ubuntu-a7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Support for session switching on non-seat0 seats was added in systemd
> 208 [1] and xorg-server 1.16 [2], both of which are available in utopic
> (but not trusty).
>
> [1]
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=d7bd01b547bd91353513131561de9cc7d9f7d405
> [2]
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=cac39219898f5e5a59ff8d8d6524f5fe0d111469

​Very very cool. So now I found out that it does not work for me. The
question is why. I guess I'll try also with different graphics cards to
find out if it is related to the radeon driver.
​

> > It seems to me rather that light-locker just locks the session with the
> > "This session is locked" but then lightdm cannot show the greeter
> > anywhere to ask for a passwort to unlock it.
>
> Yes; seems like something is trying to switch sessions but failing
> somehow.  Anything interesting in lightdm or X logs?

​Yes, see above bug report. lightdm.log is now 1.4 GB after just a few
hours...
​

​<snip - thanks for the interesting background info, will read later>
​

> > and that after logging out
> > of the session there is no new login screen. Apparently lightdm does not
> > start a new session on this seat after the first session is done.
>
> That seems odd to me, and sounds like a lightdm bug...  Do the lightdm
> logs show anything interesting?

​Yes, it fails to start another X server. I guess that in my case (using
xscreensaver instead of light-locker), I would expect this not to happen
unless it is doing it in order to offer another login for user switching.
​

> But it should, given that utopic should support session switching on
> non-seat0 seats.  I would expect trusty to have problems, but not utopic.

​I see. Against which package(s) should I report this as a bug? Is this an
"official" feature of utopic?

> > My workaround is now to use xscreensaver instead of light-locker. Works
> > but ugly and much less integrated.
>
> Good to know that there is a workaround.

​Well, it is not good enough since lightdm.log starts to fill up really
fast. So I need to find another way, preferably with lightdm.

I believe linux-kvm supports multiple graphics and input devices, though
> I have never tried it.

​Cool, will look into that too.

Kind Regards,
Schlomo