ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Template for NGO Case Studies

Paolo Sammicheli schrieb:
> I'm working on collecting infos about existing experiences with Ubuntu and
> NGOs.
>
> I realized that a template with some pre-made questions would help ppl to
> share their experiences with us and also we can better drive the collection of
> infos we're really interested (ie: how to match better their needs, what's the
> greatest difficult, there's somethings that Ubuntu should improve, etc).
>
> Also, having something standardized would help us to later arrange statistics
> (if it would make sense, probably yes).
>
> I'm still wondering about it, but I think that few simple and direct question
> similar to the "behind MOTU" interview should works good.
>
> Here's an example:
> Name of reporter:
> Name of NGO:
> Web Links:
> Location (city, country):
> What you realized with Ubuntu:
> Did you used also other linux distros?
> Did you used also proprietary software?
> What feature do you think is missing in Ubuntu that forced you to choise
> proprietary software?
> What's the biggest difficult you encountered with Ubuntu?
> What would you suggest Ubuntu to do for better match your needs?

That looks like a good start already.

I talked to people in the Canonical Marketing department about how they
do professional case studies. Here's guidelines that they make use of:
- ----
Summary (100 words approx.)
This should just be a brief overview covering the challenges faced by
the NGO before deploying Ubuntu, what the Ubuntu solution consists of
and how it works, then the amazing benefits.

Challenge or situation (250 words approx.)
This should probably include an opening paragraph that provides a
general context. It should start with the kinds of issues NGOs generally
have to deal with. Then it should focus on the specific problems or
requirements the NGO you're interviewing had.

Solution (250 words approx.)
This should just outline the Ubuntu solution. How the new IT environment
fits together, how users use it and how sys admins manage it.

Benefits – with subheadings (400 words approx.)
I tend to break my benefits up under subheadings. Each benefit should
hopefully have one paragraph talking about how much time or money has
been saved and one paragraph with a supporting quote.
- ----

I personally don't feel we should aim for fully-fledged super
professional case studies. Maybe we should make it a two-pronged approach.

In our interview we could ask all the questions above to find out about
issues that still need fixing and maybe also about best practises and
solutions that we might need to document somewhere.

But more importantly (at least as I see it) we should post a great story
on the blog about how they are making the world a better place by using
Ubuntu, also add pictures to that story.

I feel that reading and seeing how Ubuntu is used in the real world to
do good and charitable work has a huge reenergising effect on readers.
At least it would have for me. :-)

Feelings? Thoughts? Comments?

Have a great day,
 Daniel