ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: some more ideas for civicrm

Hi Daniel,

Comments inline.

On 1 Jul 2009, at 17:34, Daniel Holbach wrote:
* GPRS modem drivers. During a recent trip in Zambia, we had a local
GPRS dongle (which was a re-branded Huawei E220), and it wouldn't work on Ubuntu. Of course, if it was easy to support all possible hardware,
then we'd already be doing this. But perhaps there's a selection that
one could make. For instance, in Zambia, there's only a few telco's, and
so there's probably only a few official dongles you can buy. So one
could work out what's available locally, and support those.

To me it sounds like a network-manager / mobile-broadband-provider- info thing. Maybe you could file a bug report about it? There's others who'd
benefit from that too.

There was a bug report for this already, so I didn't file another one. On a tangent: it does provide a reason why (even when disconnected from the internet) one would want to update one's distibution ever so often.

* Frontlinesms: http://www.frontlinesms.com/ (which is open source)

Do you think you could file a needs-packaging bug for it?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages tells you how.

Done, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/395886

Btw. some discussion on Frontline SMS and CiviCRM here:
http://forum.civicrm.org/index.php?topic=8625.0

All the best,
Bjoern