ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: some more ideas for civicrm

Welcome Bjoern,

Bjoern Hassler schrieb:
> I wanted to suggest a few more applications that would be interesting to
> include, so here's my list. (Hope this isn't off-topic.)
>
> * GPRS modem drivers. During a recent trip in Zambia, we had a local
> GPRS dongle (which was a re-branded Huawei E220), and it wouldn't work
> on Ubuntu. Of course, if it was easy to support all possible hardware,
> then we'd already be doing this. But perhaps there's a selection that
> one could make. For instance, in Zambia, there's only a few telco's, and
> so there's probably only a few official dongles you can buy. So one
> could work out what's available locally, and support those.

To me it sounds like a network-manager / mobile-broadband-provider-info
thing. Maybe you could file a bug report about it? There's others who'd
benefit from that too.

> * Skype. We've used skype quite effectively for communicating
> North<->South, so ideally one would bundle skype (which I guess isn't
> possible legally), but at least one can add the repositories, and tell
> users how then can download the package prior to installation (i.e. part
> of the "How-to make Add-on CD for Ubuntu"). Of course there are other
> messenger applications, and they should be included also. But skype I
> think is quite important, because many co-workers may already have
> skype, and may find it difficult to get other apps on non-linux boxes.

As you said: we can't include it in Ubuntu, maybe it's something that
could be in Canonical's partner repository. I don't know.

For now, we could add it to our knowledge base and link to one of the
good articles that already explain how to set it up. NGO/Communication
maybe?

> * Opera 10 has got 'Opera Turbo', where traffic is routed via an Opera
> server, and optimised. (Similar idea to Opera Mini.) I've used this
> quite successfully over GPRS, and it does make a real difference. Again,
> it probably can't be bundled, but the repositories should be set up, and
> again there should be instructions how to download the package with view
> to install lateron.

Same as for skype.

> * Frontlinesms: http://www.frontlinesms.com/ (which is open source)

Do you think you could file a needs-packaging bug for it?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages tells you how.

> Finally, a note on documentation. This is also mentioned on the wiki
> ("Documentation of best practises"), and I do think it's extremely
> important: both documenting practices (that help to inform this effort)
> as well as providing good off-line documentation. Perhaps we can make a
> list of good existing documentation (for using ubuntu and key
> applications, like Open Office), and work out how they can be bundled
> for off-line use.

Absolutely. We should try to have it all in our knowledge base and also
try to work on an offline version for it. I'm sure there's an easy way
how we can grab content from the net, put it into a nice readable form
and update it regularly.

> Related to this is off-line content, and 'Open Educational Resources'
> one might want to include (such as wikipedia, which is also mentioned on
> the wiki), which is also an area that I would be very happy to talk
> about further.

Excellent. Let's have a separate discussion about that.

Have a great day,
 Daniel