ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Open-Source Software for my Nonprofit

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:22:21 +1300, "Tim McNamara"
<paperless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> 2009/10/5 Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > Am Montag, den 05.10.2009, 12:13 +1100 schrieb Chris Chinchilla:
> > > Over in melbourne, Australia, we've been working on a bunch of
> > > workshops covering just this subject, so happy to supply a list of
> > > alternatives.... And some training resources...
> >
> > There seems to be a lot of demand for having some kind of cheat-sheet or
> > facts sheet of Ubuntu.
>

> Potentially a NGO-specific set of examples could help also? Do we know
> any
> allies that could act as case studies?
>
> timClicks

Well, in this case there is an entity out Tim's way that can help
establish a firm baseline as to Windows uses.  The Secretariat of the
Pacific Community is headquartered in New Caledonia and sticks to a very
firm policy of insisting on standardizing on not only Windows but also
the Microsoft Office suite.  Although they are an intergovernmental
organization in the Pacific, they're also the 800 pound gorilla in the
room that other organizations follow the lead of whether governmental or
non-governmental.

Background on the agency can be found here:
http://www.spc.int/corp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=40

Considering that they've got in print a lovely primer on intercultural
contact in the Pacific, they would seem a great place to start making
contact.  Their goals and the Ubuntu project's would seem to be in line.

Stephen Michael Kellat, MSLS
Sheffield Township, Ohio, USA