ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Power Management for Camarabuntu

On 07/10/09 11:06, Steven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently looking into the possibility of presetting automatic
> power options on all our computers. I.e. auto power off after a
> computer has been left idle and logged out for a certain length of
> time.
>
> Is there already the software in place in Camarabuntu to do this?
>
> If not, I was wondering does anyone know of any little programs for
> Linux that are out there which would suit this purpose. Or even
> better, someone who would be able to write a small program for us!
>
> Thanks,
> Steven
>
> environment@xxxxxxxxx

(CC'ing the Ubuntu NGO group, since they might know more)

This is technology in Linux to do this. After all, laptops do this all
the time. However that's designed for laptops, so it has the concept of
things like "I'm running on battery now", something that desktops don't
have.

Mostly the software would have been written for us rich westerners in
mind and so would always stay on if it's plugged in. It might be
possible to change the gnome-power-manager thingie to turn a desktop
computer off if it hasn't been used in a while.

Rory McCann