ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: What would *you* put on a harddrive going out to Africa?

2009/11/26 Rory McCann <rory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I was chatting to a friend of mine in Kenya and he asked for another
> harddrive full of ubuntu repositories. I'll do a normal apt-mirror which
> should take up about 40GB.

40G is quite small. Is that only one repo, one architecture, one release?

> That leaves me with some extra space. What would you put on a harddrive
> going out to africa?

ISO images for current releases. ISOs for other distros, so they get
some choice.

As others have suggested, a dump of wikipedia.

A dump of help.ubuntu.com and help.ubuntu.com/community ?

> Are there any Free/FLOSS/CC books, documentation, screen casts, videos,
> etc that I don't know about?

Help yourself to any screencasts at http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/ and
perhaps some from http://showmedo.com - they have lots of tutorials
that are all downloadable in .flv format (which plays fine on Ubuntu
given the right codecs).

Cheers,
Al.