ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: About FrontlineSMS packaging

Hello Tomas,

it's great to have you on the list. Thanks for your introduction.

On 26.11.2009 11:23, Tomas 'TT' Krag wrote:
I'm doing some work with FrontlineSMS for my current employer, and in
collaboration with a number of other non-profits we are working on a
bootable USB GSM modem that boots straight into a linux distro running
FrontlineSMS.

The modem has an sdcard reader that is a standard usb device.

That sounds fantastic.

That particular task would be a lot easier if there were deb's of
FrontlineSMS, and I noticed that AndrewSomething has started the
proccess of packaging FrontlineSMS.

Although i'm a pretty seasoned linux user and admin, I have no
experience with apt packaging, and I was wondering if someone could
guide me in the right direction for finishing the task Andrew started.
I'd even be willing to try and scrape together a small bounty if someone
could help me get a solid ubuntu package of frontlineSMS running.

As far as I can see the problem with the FrontlineSMS packaging is similar to what we're experiencing in the PHP packaging world right now: there's a lot of shipped modules in there and we can't have that in Ubuntu packages.

daniel@miyazaki:~/bzr/build-area/frontlinesms-1.5.8$ find . \
> -iname '*.jar'
./lib/masabiFormsMessageHandler.jar
./lib/sqlitejdbc-v054-native.jar
./lib/mail.jar
./lib/jdom.jar
./lib/derby.jar
./lib/comm.jar
./lib/antenna-bin-1.0.0.jar
./lib/RXTXcomm.jar
./lib/activation.jar
./lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.7-bin.jar
./lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar
./lib/linux/sqlitejdbc-v054.jar
daniel@miyazaki:~/bzr/build-area/frontlinesms-1.5.8$

Java packaging is not my area of expertise, so I suggest Andrew, you and I try to get in touch with more knowledgeable people and try to figure out which parts can be re-used which are packaged already and which we need to package ourselves.

That'd make it easier for us to set up a wiki page with all the TODO.

Have a great day,
 Daniel