ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Introductions...

Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>  - who you are

Mark A. Hershberger, MediaWiki developer

>  - which NGO or other organisation you work for

At Wikimedia, I'm part of the core engineering team.

>  - where your organisation is involved

… I'm going to assume you all know where and what Wikimedia is involved
in.  If you don't know, I imagine you'll at least recognise the
Wikipedia logo on http://www.wikimedia.org/.

>  - how you make use of Ubuntu there or would like to use Ubuntu

I'm not on the OPS team, but I understand our servers use Ubuntu (see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Ubuntu_migration_FAQ).

Our administrators are trying to make Ubuntu the standard desktop/laptop
OS.

>  - what you see as biggest stumbling blocks in terms of using Ubuntu

The administrators are getting some resistance from the Mac users (a few
of whom are on the OPS team).  One reason the OPS people have given for
their resistance is the availability of Apple stores in many places and
the level of support that they provide for repairs.  However, An Indian
program manager recently pointed out that Apple doesn't have stores in
India while Dell (the administrators preferred provider) does have a
presence there.

> It'd be great if we could identify this way where commonalities in the
> team are and if we can find folks who would like to work on solving some
> of the problems together.

Last year (back in 2009), I was working at another NGO, IntraHealth,
helping with the development of their iHRIS software
(http://launchpad.net/ihris-suite) — a web-based HR
tool for helping country-wide organisations (e.g. Uganda's Nursing
Council) a tool to the track their health care providers.

Thanks,

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

War begins by calling for the annihilation of the Other,
    but ends ultimately in self-annihilation.