[Design] App patterns applied: Core utilities for Ubuntu on phones

Hi all,

The Design team has just published a very nice blog post with designs
and a detailed description on the concept for 4 core apps.

Check it out here:

http://design.canonical.com/2013/02/app-patterns-applied-core-utilities-for-ubuntu-on-phones/

Or inline:

Many of you must have noticed the [call for core apps][] proposals
that’s being run by the Ubuntu Community team. The response has been
great, thanks to everyone taking part!

In the Design Team, we thought that we could chip in to this effort and
come up with some design concepts that reflect the vision of where
Ubuntu is headed towards on phones, and start by sharing some concepts
we’ve come up with in our London offices.

What we really want to do with these utilities, is not just to make them
work, but to use to opportunity to explore and express the three themes
stated in the [Design Vision][]:

1.  Focus on the content
2.  Fast and natural interactions
3.  Sophisticated style

Based on these drivers we set out to distill each app to its core
constituents, and if possible, find little twists that makes them unique
and more engaging to use.

[![][]][] [![][1]][] [![][2]][] [![][3]][]

We’ve looked at Clock, Weather, Calculator and Calendar – since they are
the core utilities every phone needs.

Clock
-----

[![][4]][]

These days phones have largely replaced our wristwatches, alarm clocks,
egg timers and stopwatches. However, some of those old appliances are
beautifully designed, very functional and simplistic; we wanted to bring
back that obvious simplicity to our clock app.

Weather
-------

[![][5]][]

A weather app is a utility we use every day to decide how to get to work
or what to wear. It’s essential that this app tells us how hot or cold
it’s going to be or how much rain or wind we should expect!

Calculator
----------

[![][6]][]

The pocket calculator has been an everyday companion since the 1970s,
and its interface with a number pad and add, subtract, multiply, and
divide buttons has become very familiar. With a few tweaks, this simple
interface could be updated to the 21st century, to make it accommodate
casual everyday maths, without losing its original simplicity.

Calendar
--------

[![][7]][]

As with phones to the clock, the calendar app has gradually replaced its
paper counterpart. Considering the centuries of design thought that has
gone into paper diaries, though, there is still opportunity to enhance
the calendar app experience. Paper diaries have been great at telling us
what we’re up to each day, and our calendar app should do just that.

Now what?
---------

This is just the beginning. We are looking forward to iterating these
apps with you through design and development with the goal of landing
them on the Ubuntu Phone!

P.S. Sign up to the Ubuntu Phone [mailing list][] and the [IRC
channel][] to discuss more.

  [call for core apps]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuPhone/CoreApps/
  [Design Vision]: http://design.ubuntu.com/apps/get-started/design-vision
  []: