Re: Ubuntu Phone Calculator Demo #1

On 23/02/13 22:40, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2013, at 22:37, Bruno Girin <brunogirin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Actually, that's a nicer suggestion than mine: just display the last good result when the expression results in a syntax error or nan.
> Well, NaN _is_ a meaningful result from a calculator. Certain
> operations have NaN as the correct answer, just as others have
> infinity (showing the correct symbol would be very nice then - not
> sure I can find it on an iPad's VKB ;-))

True but all the "nan" use cases in the video are cases of incomplete
expression so should be treated as such. In terms of the real cases of
NaN, would it be correct to equate it to "undefined", which would be
less confusing for non-techy users?

The infinity symbol in Unicode is U+221E:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/221e/index.htm
It would also be nice to show +∞ or -∞ depending on whether it's
positive or negative infinity (when known).

Bruno