Re: [design] Intended usage of the page stack navigation model

On 06/26/2013 08:16 AM, Daniel Clem wrote:
> I personally would prefer the page stack view for things like file
> explorer/manager. Where on Android you use the back button, with
> stacking as I understand, you back up by tapping the titles at the top
> right? Very elegant if I am understanding the design specs correctly.
> Can this be adjusted to be used for other areas as well, like in the
> gallery app, it requires the back button hidden within the toolbar and
> just feels slow and less smooth and elegant over all.

Although the page stack view is nice as it integrates well, it does
require more memory. I ran some tests for the File manager, and each new
page on the page stack takes 2MB. This results in about twice as much
memory (50MB versus 27MB) for a deeply nested folder. I don't know how
important this is.

Currently, the File manager basically emulates the page stack by having
a back button that acts as the back button would in a page stack.

About the back button, I really like the idea of placing it in the
header, as it seems to make more sense. There was a discussion on this
mailing list recently, and I suggested putting it there. In the design
FAQs, they mentioned that they are working on a better page stack back
button [1], so hopefully this gets addressed.

[1] http://design.ubuntu.com/apps/get-started/faqs

--
Michael Spencer - ibeliever.github.io

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:5-6