Is Ubuntu Phone able to run anything else than Qt/QML apps?

Hi all
I wondered if I (with the finished Ubuntu Phone with Mir and stuff),
would be able to run anything else than Qt/QML apps. It might be, that
they don't look and behave optimal on a touch screen, but they're
usable, at least on a tablet. And let's face it: one of the great
problems with Ubuntu Phone is, that there are only the core apps and a
few more apps. If you were able to run standard Ubuntu applications,
that would be a big benefit of the Ubuntu Phone. Even Android and iOS
doesn't have a good office app, and how about other, more advanced
tools? Only available on the desktop.
And, if this wish isn't to be met, would I have any luck by installing
Gtk and start an application from the command-line?

Regards
Andreas

Follow ups