Re: Applications spawning other Applications

On 07/18/2013 11:14 AM, Michał Sawicz wrote:
> W dniu 18.07.2013 17:38, Marc Deslauriers pisze:
>> For the browser, I imagine a URL handler will take care of it, but what about
>> spawning a different application that doesn't necessarily handle URLs or MIME types?
>
> And for network access I expect some platform API instead.
>
> I feel like the only instance where we would indeed allow spawning other
> apps directly would be if it's bundled in the same package - and handled
> through upstart as usual, I'd say.

Well, an app may want to spawn a browser rather than implementing a webview
itself. Marc mentioned the URL handler, but I don't know how this would work.
Marc, can you elaborate?

But for the other cases consider the MyApp click package that ships two desktop
files for myapp and myapp-settings. Upstart works fine for launching either of
these from the Dash. However, if myapp wants to launch myapp-settings from
within itself, we need to define how that is supposed to happen (the specific
problems are in another mailing list[1]). It can't just use:
  start application APP_ID=myapp-settings

because we don't have a way to prevent it from doing:
  start application APP_ID=some-other-app

There are some things we can do with AppArmor, but they don't include the
executed app being managed by upstart.

[1]https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-appstore-developers/msg00296.html