Re: Applications spawning other Applications

On 07/22/2013 05:00 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
On Friday 19 July 2013 08:04:12 Marc Deslauriers wrote:
On 13-07-19 07:11 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
On Thursday 18 July 2013 20:50:28 Michał Sawicz wrote:
W dniu 18.07.2013 20:37, Thomas Voß pisze:
Good point and I do agree in general, However, once we allow mime-type
handling we break the strict per-app siloing of content.

Not sure how to solve that issue for mime-type handling.
Well, that only really means file:// needs to be disabled, right? So if
you want to access any local data, you have to go through content
management (but even then, gallery has both photos and videos, for
example - apps aren't limited to one mime type).
Seems like this would be the appropriate API to do this:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtgui/qdesktopservices.html

Is anyone already working on providing a backend implementation suited for
our needs for this?
A confined app wouldn't be allowed to spawn processes directly using
qdesktopservices, so it needs to be done via a separate trusted helper,
likely over dbus.
Shouldn't the policy and D-Bus things be hidden in the backend implementation
of QDesktopServices? If an app is not allowed to open a certain mime type,
this wouldn't just do anything or, if the api allows it, report an error back.

I don't think we should add some new module doing the same as QDesktopServices
with a different API. That would increase porting efforts for apps. But maybe I
just read your comment wrong and you actually mean the same thing as I do?

Br,
Michael

Hello guys,

Just to let you the ubuntu-filemanager-app uses QDesktopServices::openUrl() to open files, I do not have a device, but I've heard that it does not work on a device running Ubuntu Touch, while in the Desktop it works.

I think some implementation is necessary on the platform to have QDesktopServices::openUrl() working properly.

Best Regards,
Carlos