Re: Various issues with Ubuntu Touch

Hi

On Friday 02 August 2013 16:31:37 Psypher wrote:
> I am wondering where to start logging bugs and issues I have found so far.
> The challenging part is to know which parts of the interface are still in
> production and which parts do not exist yet at all.

Pretty much everything you see is still in production :) We're getting closer
tho.

> A small example of issues so far:
> No navigation buttons in the browser, how do you go back to the previous
> page?

Pull up the toolbar from the bottom ;)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/touch-preview-images/+bug/1183065

> Wifi switches stopped working completely

Very likely related to the battery drain bug.

> keyboard disappears in terminal when you choose a panel and no way to get
> the kb back

This is a rather new bug. I've seen it myself too. Not sure if there's a bug
report for it yet. Search Launchpad for "terminal-app" and "maliit" (the on
screen keyboard).

> So where should I begin? Should I take just one issue (battery drain and
> heat) and just run with that or log a bug for each and every issue I have
> found so far even if that part of the interface is non-functional at this
> time?

Yes, this is the way to go. Obviously search for existing bugs before logging
new ones.

> Do we have a matrix of features that exist and what their working states
> are as well as future features?

We're tracking tasks in so called blueprints. For example this is the one for
unity:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1303-unity-ui-converged

(You can click all the bubbles to see details)

Every app should have such a thing too.

> Also what distinguishes "Core Apps" from core functionality and where is
> the latter being tracked? Logging bugs on the terminal application is less
> important to me than logging bugs about the interface/OS itself.

Again, each app has its own launchpad project with bug tracker and blueprint.

> Any guidance as to where my insight could be used would be greatly
> appreciated. I am not a developer myself but I am learning a bit of python.
> But I have great usability ideas and have found quite a few glaring
> omissions in the interface but not sure if this is the right place for
> those discussions. I feel we have a very long way to go before this OS and
> it's core apps are usable and would like to assist in making that target.

If you know python you can probably help with autopilot testing the core apps?
Otherwise, keep on brainstorming on this list, spreading the word about Ubuntu
Touch, participate in the Ubuntu Edge campain  at
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge and report bugs as you find them.
Maybe also learn some QML and start hacking on your own little game :)

> Great work so far everyone, it does look stunning, clean and crisp!

Thanks,
Michael