Re: Tab widget design

On 08/16/2013 08:51 AM, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> It was already my intention to get in touch about this to see what's
> the general feeling, and after seeing Michael Hall's post about the
> use of the tab widget for indicators as well (http://goo.gl/yJP7Ns),
> this sounds like a good timing.
>
> After experimenting with the phone interface for the last few days,
> the swiping-tabs interface stands out as being perhaps the only
> component that is somewhat awkward to use. The widget hides the full
> list of options in the tab behind reasonable thumb-exercising, at a
> position which is not comfortable to reach, let alone swiping
> repeatedly. Then, if you don't actually select anything because you
> didn't find what was being searched for, the widget remains in that
> misaligned position.
>
> I won't provide any suggestions as we have some fantastic people
> taking care of it, but just in terms of being a user of it, it would
> be nice to have something that uses more of the screen state to
> display what are the possible options, and so that we can reach them
> with less swiping, in a lower screen position.
>
> Is it just me, or is that a shared feeling?

I recently noticed the misaligned position. I agree that discoverability of the
tabs is not obvious, but it is also something that once you learn isn't bad. I
think there is probably a limit to the number of usable tabs though-- too many
is a lot of swiping. I didn't think about the fact that I had to reach over with
my finger to swipe until now. I also am not offering any suggestions...