Re: Need picture_files policy in mg app

On Sunday 15 September 2013 18:33:45 Thomas Voß wrote:
> [...]
> > Hmm, I could think of lots of use cases to display pictures from the
> > pictures folder within an app. For example image manipulation programs
> > could import them, social media apps could want to share them (e.g.
> > attached to a blog post), chat applications to select an avatar etc.
>
> While the filesystem might have such a folder, the intended way to
> solve the use-cases you are mentioning above is the
> content-picking/sharing infrastructure.
>
> > I think that an app should not be able to access other app's pictures
> > (e.g.
> > stored in /home/phablet/.cache/$APPID/ ) but accessing the common pictures
> > folder is probably a must-have in the long run, no?
>
> Well, the confinement approach basically says: There is no content on
> the phone that is not owned by an app. With that, the pictures folder
> would be owned by the default Gallery application and thus,
> confinement rules would apply again.

With that not even the integrated camera-app would be able to store pictures
into it, no?

> I'm trying to understand this app's concrete use-case better to
> propose a way forward.

But somehow there must be a way to exchange data between apps I think.

Also stuff like music files can't be owned by one music player without access
for others. How would you write an app that can stream your music/video files
via DLNA? Or just an alternative music player?

Another use case would be some application that can create pictures. For
example some pimped camera app, or some avatar creation app. It should be
possible to save that to the same location as the other pictures.

Probably providing some pool of "shared" media data via the Document Gallery
could be a possibility?

http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtdocgallery

Br,
Michael