Re: Need picture_files policy in mg app

On 09/15/2013 11:33 AM, Thomas Voß wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Michael Zanetti
> <michael.zanetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sunday 15 September 2013 17:57:35 Thomas Voß wrote:

>>> Hmmm, accessing the content of other applications violates the current
>>> confinement approach.
>>> Wouldn't it be sufficient for your app to just display the photos
>>> taken with your app to the user?
>>
>> Hmm, I could think of lots of use cases to display pictures from the pictures
>> folder within an app. For example image manipulation programs could import
>> them, social media apps could want to share them (e.g. attached to a blog
>> post), chat applications to select an avatar etc.
>>

> While the filesystem might have such a folder, the intended way to
> solve the use-cases you are mentioning above is the
> content-picking/sharing infrastructure.
>
>> I think that an app should not be able to access other app's pictures (e.g.
>> stored in /home/phablet/.cache/$APPID/ ) but accessing the common pictures
>> folder is probably a must-have in the long run, no?
>>

> Well, the confinement approach basically says: There is no content on
> the phone that is not owned by an app. With that, the pictures folder
> would be owned by the default Gallery application and thus,
> confinement rules would apply again.
>
> I'm trying to understand this app's concrete use-case better to
> propose a way forward.

Mario should respond, but to prod this along: aiui, his 'Memories' application
wants to aggregate photos, etc from all applications, and has the ability to
take pictures. To me, it sounds like it is both a content source (because it can
take pictures) and a content consumer (because it wants to pull in (selected?)
photos.

Mario, can you confirm?