Re: Defining Click framework(s) for 13.10

On 18 September 2013 10:48, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18 September 2013 09:31, Loïc Minier <loic.minier@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>       Hi!
>>
>> Click packages uploaded to appstore currently declare a dependency on
>> ubuntu-sdk-13.10, but we haven't defined this ubuntu-sdk-13.10 framework
>> yet!
>>
>> This should be as backwards-compatible as possible (at least up to
>> 12.04) so that apps in the appstore don't need to be ported to a new
>> API/ABI before it's out in a stable release.
>>
>> Currently we have an ubuntu-sdk package, but no ubuntu-sdk-runtime or
>> ubuntu-touch-runtime or whatever we want it; the seed is below, would
>> people please reply commenting on APIs/ABIs which should/must be in
>> ubuntu-sdk-13.10, with a thought on stability of the interface?
>>
>> Also, do we want multiple frameworks, notably for webapps or for cordova?
>>

> I specifically wanted to split ubuntu-sdk into three packages:
> * development tools & docs (e.g. qtcreator, qtcreator plugins,
> documentation etc)
> * runtime libraries (e.g. actual qt5 runtime libraries, qml plugins etc. only)
> * dev libraries (e.g. all the -dev packages for the runtime libraries)
>
> And the runtime libraries must be seeded in the ubuntu-touch seed, as
> during this cycle we did see sometimes where some -dev package was
> part of ubuntu-sdk package, yet the runtime library was not available
> on the the ubuntu-touch images.
>
> Similarly, when creating cross-compilation chroots, one doesn't need
> QtCreator / docs / examples etc. just the dev packages.
>
> I was not sure about the names for those packages. but is it ok if I
> propose a suggested seed structure change and split?

I have now came up with a seed change proposal:

touch: minimal
sdk:

It becomes this:
sdk-libs: minimal
sdk-libs-dev: sdk-libs minimal
sdk: sdk-libs-dev
touch: minimal sdk-libs

As per above, sdk-libs are runtime libs present both on the final
touch images and the development seed. (Multi-arch: same)
sdk-libs-dev are development headers / libraries. (Multi-arch: same)
sdk is IDE, documentation, examples and depends on the development
headers/libraries seed. (Multi-arch not declared, end-developer only)

Thus we now guarantee that whatever is in the sdk has its runtime
seeded on the images and vice-versa.

Since ubuntu-touch does not install / consider recommends, i had to
convert most qml plugins from recommends to depends.

The nitty-gritty details are as in the two merge proposals:
https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/ubuntu/saucy/ubuntu-touch-meta/xnox/+merge/186802
https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu-touch.saucy/+merge/186803

It's two merge proposals, because I need add additional two additional
packages in the ubuntu-touch-meta meta-packages.

Please look at this proposals. At the moment they do not incorporate
any changes, but only re-arrange the seeds as they currently stand.
And please point out any errors in these.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.