Re: Status of PyQt for 14.04

Em 25-09-2013 16:25, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio escreveu:

This is something I'm interested in as well, and the answer to all
these questions seems to be yes.

Dmitry Shachnev made a little demo using Python3 and PyQt5 with Ubuntu
SDK components that I've successfully run on the phone:

http://people.ubuntu.com/~mitya57/pyqmldemo.py
http://people.ubuntu.com/~mitya57/pyqmldemo.qml

    Thanks for this PyQt5 example !

You need to be using the image with a writable file system and install
the python3-pyqt5.qtquick package.

The real unanswered question is whether PyQt5 will be available on the image.

Python support (including Qt bindings like PyQt) is very important to allow many mobile Linux developers to create softwares for Ubuntu Touch :
- where QML processing is too simple and C++ is too much (Python is enough);
- which depend on Python modules (with hundreds of thousands of lines of code, etc).

Mobile Linux OS have a good percentage (tens of %) of their softwares made in Python : Maemo 4 (Python/PyGtk/PyQt), Maemo 5 (Python/PyGtk/PyQt/PySide), MeeGo Harmattan (Python/PySide), etc.

Let us hope Python and PyQt5 will be supported in Ubuntu Touch, so the mobile Python community can contribute with a wealth of softwares to Ubuntu Touch.