Re: Library dependency support in click packages?

On Sunday 29 September 2013 23:16:04 Scott Sweeny wrote:
> Matt got farther than I did as far as statically linking the libraries
> so I'll let him address that part.
>
> The reason we mention Qt is that we started from the scope template in
> the Ubuntu SDK (as any developer would). Since it's a Qt Creator
> project the qmake build system is used to generate the makefiles. I
> suppose we can hand-edit the makefiles once they're generated but I
> believe Matt was asking how to have qmake specify a subset of
> libraries to be linked statically while the rest are dynamic.

In qmake you just specify the name of the library, doesn't matter if its a
static or dynamic lib. It will link whatever it can find first.

LIBS += -L/some/path/to/static/libs/ -lmystaticlib

Note that this arguments are just passed down to the linker call without any
modification. So Qt/qmake doesn't really care at all what kind of libs you are
trying to link.

> Additionally, some libraries in Ubuntu apparently don't ship static
> files in their -dev packages. Once again, we could build those
> statically by hand and include them but that's the kind of thing I was
> hoping to avoid as an outcome of this discussion.

As "not having to worry about dependencies" is the whole point of click
packages I'm afraid that won't be the outcome of the discussion.

Br,
Michael