Re: Installing click packages without Ubuntu-one

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Yes, just as you need a general computing device capable of running
> >> software in to download Google applications.
> >>

> > It's a oauth-signed download from a public API, and there's nothing
> > device-specific about it.
> > Find me that in Google Play and I will accept it's the same thing.
>
> Where is that public oaut-signed API documented?

Honestly, were I under the impression that you would do something with
that, I would bother
looking for it. In the meantime, surely you can find the free, open source
implementation on your own, right?

> Sure, it's in development, has miles better design compared to Google
> and whatnot.
>
> But until the documentation is there it's about as good. Plus the
> point is that HTTP GET is an open standard that is widely supported.
> Some U1 oauth signed bullshit is supported by nothing.

Well, "oauth signed bullshit" is an open standard, that is widely
supported, too.

> comes
> >>
> >> But you *DO NEED 3RD PARTY APPS ON THE DEVICE WITH WHICH YOU DOWNLOAD
> >> THE CLICK FILE*. A plain web browser clearly does not suffice.
> >

> > I don't even know what 3rd party would mean in this context. You can
> write
> > it yourself. Would that make it
> > 1st party?
> >
> > If I took my lunch hour and wrote the script for you (I would rather have
> > lunch, really), would that be 2nd party?
>
> Will that script then come with my dumb phone? With a Chromebook? With
> an Andriod tablet? Will it come preinstalled on internet cafe
> machines? No. It won't even run on half of the platforms.

Suppose I told you yes, it can be made to run in android, or in a dumb
phone (assuming the "dumb phone" can run those java mobile things, which it
probably can, unless you want Canonical to provide you a WAP gateway).

But all those support HTTP GET out of the box. So when I buy a game on
> GOG I can log in on any such device to my GOG account I can download
> it. Even it is *gasp* meant for a different platform than what I am
> running. That's what I call open.

What's GOG?

> >> Thanks for making it clear that Ubuntu Touch is an alternative to
> >> Android and iOS but not an *open* alternative.
> >>

> > So, the difference between "open" and "closed" is one link on a website.
> > Awesome.
>
> Oh yeah. Canonical values their statistics above usability of the
> service. Awesome.

What you say doesn't follow from what I said, but hey, whatever, dude.

> On 15 October 2013 18:47, Fola Dawodu <folabiklan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Gentlemen.
> >
> > At this point it appears you are feeding the troll........
> >
> > Contribute code. Contribute testing/bug reports. Complaining won't help
>
> The server is closed source. Clearly code is not wanted. It is broken
> by design. Testing/bug reports are useless.

If I may give unrequested advice [1] ... perhaps you are not aware of just
how plain *weird* your emails sound?
They read as if you are just trying to pick up a fight with someone,
anyone. As someone with a checkered past in online discussions... well,
it's not worth it.

Sure, people are already saying "don't feed the troll", but let's try
something else for a change. What's your concern, really?
Is it that the phone is going to be closed source? It will not. That you
will not be able to install apps from the command line?
Well, you can. That Canonical is not providing a way to download those
clicks? Well, we *are*. That you can't download them
without a device? But you *can*. Is it some peculiar use-case I am not
getting yet?

The hardest problem in that list is perhaps a couple of hours of coding
away. And there are examples, and everything. So, I am going to make a good
will offer. If you want that to exist, I will happily assist you in
bringing it into existence, in the spirit of friendship and free software.

So, mail me privately, and I promise I will spend my personal time helping
you fix the problems you perceive. Because code is very much welcome.

Deal?

[1] As if anyone could stop me, right?