Re: Thoughts on inhibiting app suspend via application lifecycle

On 10/21/2013 06:05 PM, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Jamie Strandboge <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>     I think we may be too strict on this. Consider the following apps:
>      * a metronome app for musicians to practice to (2 are in the app store now)
>      * a white noise app to help people sleep (1 in the store)
>      * a navigation app that speaks the directions to you as you drive (none in the
>        app store AFAIK, but this would be a wonderful addition)
>      * internet radio apps (there are at least 2 in the store)
>      * a 3rd party alarm clock (perhaps the API that the core app clock uses is
>        sufficient-- I haven't checked)

>     Do we have a plan for apps like this? If not, could we create an API that allows
>     inhibiting reasonably? Note, there was a related thread ('Catching CPU run-aways
>     on Touch') that might be useful to take a look at if we are going to
>     implement this.
>

> For the music/sound stuff I thought apps were supposed to delegate that to the
> music-hub[1].

Maybe? I guess it depends on if the music-hub can handle streams rather than
just files. Eg, the metronome isn't going to ship different ogg files for
different tempos; it is going to create streams on the fly. The internet radio
would be a stream too. The white noise app does ship sounds files, but it has a
neat feature of being able to play more than one at a time. There is still
navigation with sound, alarms and gps without sound, like Robert mentioned. My
point is, yes, let's do the media service, absolutely, but maybe we should also
allow for other scenarios.